Patients and Visitors
What To Expect
The tips, suggestions, and policies that follow will better prepare you for your visit. We look forward to meeting your pet, you, and your family. When a pet is ill, the family can feel anxious. Ill pets bring on emotional, medical, and financial worries. We do all we can to ease the stress for your pet and family. We involve you and your family veterinarian in decisions and discuss options for diagnosis and treatment. During this difficult time, our care serves a key mission: helping your family and pet enjoy life together as long as possible.
Referrals & Appointments
Appointments are by referral only (including emergencies), Monday through Friday. Your veterinarian must refer your pet to us. Once referred, you (not your veterinarian) must schedule your appointment. To provide top patient care, we limit new appointments to just a few per day.
Before You Arrive
It's vital that your veterinarian fax your pet's complete medical records prior to your appointment or that you bring them with you. Even if your records are faxed, you may need to bring any X-rays with you. We can't make sound decisions without all of this information.
- For consultation appointments, please continue your routine (medications and feeding) as normal
- If surgery is expected, do not feed your pet after 10:00pm the night before the appointment, but please continue giving medications on schedule with a small treat, unless directed otherwise
- Provide water at all times
During Your Visit
The client (or an authorized agent) making all medical and financial decisions must be at the appointment. The specialist's consultation is often detailed and lengthy; other family members who help make decisions should be present also.
- After we examine your pet and review the medical records, we'll recommend a treatment plan
- We'll answer your questions and review costs
- We'll tailor a plan in line with your needs and discuss how long we may need to keep your pet
While Your Pet Is Here
- We'll update you and your veterinarian regularly with your pet's status, our findings, and recommendations.
- We encourage patient visits; we find they're good for everyone! Please call in advance during regular business hours to schedule your visit. ICU Visitation Hours are:
Monday through Friday: 10:30am - 11:30am and 3:30pm - 4:30pm
Saturday & Sunday: 12:00pm - 1:00pm
Children must be accompanied by an adult and supervised at all times.
After hours visiting can be arranged with our Hospital Manager.
Please call 803-798-0803 to make after-hour visitation arrangements.
- We pride ourselves on the care we provide. We treat your pet as if he/she were our own. Please let us know if there is anything we can do to help at this challenging time.
We'll schedule an appointment to discharge your pet. At this time, we will review home care instructions and medications, discuss follow-up recommendations, and answer all your questions. We will review your bill, collect payment, and schedule a follow-up appointment as required. To keep your pet's whole medical team in the loop, we will update your family veterinarian with a written report.
After You Go Home
- We'll call when pending lab results come in
- We'll review test results, monitor your pet's progress, and make follow-up recommendation
- We'll be available to you and your veterinarian for ongoing concerns and questions