VCA Sacramento Veterinary Referral Center
By Kari Moore, DVM, DACVECC, CCRT
Published: February 27, 2013

Back to News

Yes, it’s true. Raisins and grapes can cause severe health problems when ingested by your dog. The toxic mechanism is unknown at this time. It is unclear whether the risk of problems is the same with cumulative doses as compared to a large, single ingestion. It is also uncertain whether some dogs are more predisposed to having toxicity from grapes or raisins. It is known that 4 pounds of grapes equal about 1 pound of raisins, so fewer raisins need to be ingested to reach toxic levels. In 2004, the Animal Poison Control Center (APCC) reported 50 cases of dogs exhibiting problems ranging from vomiting to life-threatening kidney failure, which results in some deaths after ingestion of varying amounts of raisins or grapes.

Clinical signs start within the first few hours as vomiting and loss of appetite. Within 24 hours, symptoms can progress to lethargy, diarrhea and abdominal pain. The concern for renal failure during the first 72 hours is great. If the kidney enzymes are normal after 3 days, it is unlikely that renal failure will develop. Even if the kidney enzymes are normal at the 3-day period, a repeat blood test 5-7 days later is still recommended.

Diagnosis is most easily made by visualization of partially digested grapes or raisins in the vomit, feces, or both. Noticing that your dog is eating grapes or got into a box of raisins. In addition to visualizing the grapes or raisins the kidney enzymes may become elevated along with the calcium and phosphorus levels.

Treatment must be administered quickly and aggressively for a dog to survive. The sooner treatment is administered, the better the prognosis. Dogs may need to be treated up to three weeks post ingestion. Treatment begins with decontamination of the gastrointestinal tract. Vomiting should be induced as soon as the possible after the ingestion of the grapes or raisins. Next, activated charcoal is given to try and bind the toxins within the grapes or raisins. Administration of intravenous fluids in a 24-hour care facility for 3- 21 days depending on symptoms and blood tests is imperative. Some dogs even need hemodialysis to survive. Many dogs do not survive if the problem is not noted right away.

If your dog has ingested grapes or raisin, contact your veterinarian immediately.
The ASPCA and APCC have advised that grapes and raisins not be given to pets in any amount.

CLOSE CLOSE

General Practice

We have over 600 animal hospitals in 41 states and 4 Canadian provinces that are staffed by more than 3,000 fully-qualified, dedicated and compassionate veterinarians, with more than 400 being board-certified specialists.

The nationwide VCA family of general practice hospitals give your pet the very best in medical care, providing a full range of general medical and surgical services as well as specialized treatments such as wellness, spay/neuter, advanced diagnostic services (MRI/CT Scan), internal medicine, oncology, ophthalmology, dermatology, cardiology, neurology, boarding, and grooming. Services may vary by location.

Our family of pet hospitals stands out by delivering the greatest resources in order provide the highest quality care available for your pets. By maintaining the highest standards of pet health care available anywhere, we emphasize prevention as well as healing. We provide continuing education programs to our doctors and staff and promote the open exchange of professional knowledge and expertise. And finally, we have established a consistent program of procedures and techniques, proven to be the most effective in keeping pets healthy.

Find a VCA General Care Animal Hospital near you:

 

See all VCA Animal Hospitals >

CLOSE CLOSE

Emergency Care

We are located at 9801 Old Winery Place in Sacramento. Our hospital is open 24 hours a day every day to help care for your emergency needs. Our emergency fee is $135. If you are planning to come in on emergency, please call (916)362-3111 so that we are ready for you.

If your pet has swallowed a medication or toxic substance, you can call Animal Poison Control Center at 1-888-426-4435 for the most up to date information and immediate assistance. The cost of the service is $65.

CLOSE CLOSE