Rachel Sternberg, DVM, DACVIM/Oncology, Veterinary Specialist
Dr. Sternberg received her DVM from the University of Wisconsin in 2007 and was valedictorian of her class. She completed a one-year internship in medicine and surgery at the University of Minnesota followed by a three-year residency in medical oncology at the University of Illinois in 2011. Since completing her residency, she has received fellowship funding to conduct osteosarcoma research at the University of Illinois.Dr. Sternberg became board certified in oncology in 2013. Professional interests include diagnosing and treating a variety of canine and feline cancers and investigating ways in which the immune system can be modified to better recognize and eliminate cancer cells. She enjoys working with other specialists, including veterinary surgeons and radiation oncologists, to optimize treatment plans for each patient.
Dr. Sternberg can be found spending time outside of the hospital with her husband, cats, and bunnies.
Publications and presentations:
1. Sternberg RA, Pondenis HC, Yang X, Mitchell MA, O’Brien RT, Garrett LD, Helferich WG, Hoffmann WE, Fan TM. Association between absolute tumor burden and serum bone-specific alkaline phosphatase in canine appendicular osteosarcoma. J Vet Intern Med 2013;27;955-963.
2. Sternberg R, Seelig D, and Garrett LD. Plasma cell neoplasms. In: Bonagura J, Twedt D, eds. Kirk’s Current Veterinary Therapy XV. Saunders. In press, 2013.
3. Sternberg R and Coyle V. Liver neoplasia. In: Merrill L, editor. Small Animal Internal Medicine for Veterinary Technicians and Nurses. Ames (IA): Wiley-Blackwell;2012.
4. Sternberg R, Tang L, Tong R, Wypij J, Garrett L, Kamstock D, Cheng J, Fan T. Biodistribution, safety, and activity of osteotropic doxorubicin nanoconjugates in dogs with osteosarcoma. 2011 VCS Conference. Albuquerque, New Mexico.
5. Sternberg R, Pondenis H, Segre M, Garrett L, Wypij J, Fan T. Characterizing the innate immune and potential anticancer effects of TLR7 agonism in normal balb/c mice. 2010 VCS Conference. San Diego, California.
6. Sternberg R, Wypij J, and Barger AM. An overview of multiple myeloma in dogs and cats. Vet Med Oct 2009:468-476.
7. Sternberg R, Wypij J, and Barger AM. Extramedullary and solitary osseous plasmacytomas in dogs and cats. Vet Med Oct 2009:477-480.