Integrative medicine incorporates western/traditional medicine with alternative therapies such as acupuncture, herbal medicine, nutrition and rehabilitation. This type of approach is useful in any general medicine case, but is especially useful for patients that have been diagnosed, appropriately treated and are still experiencing problems or quality of life issues that western medicine or surgery have not alleviated. Aging animals often develop chronic problems or multiple problems concurrently that may benefit from nutritional or alternative therapies. Individuals with active animals interested in maintaining the health of their pets may be interested in alternative approaches to the traditional treatments such as antibiotics or steroids. Chronic, degenerative problems such as cancer, degenerative myelopathy (DM) and osteoarthritis often respond well to alternative therapies. Alternative treatments may lengthen the lives of the patients and improve their quality of life. The following is a brief description of some of the alternative therapies offered and examples of types of cases where they can be useful.
Specialized services and therapies offered include:
- Water Therapy (underwater treadmill) - Used to increase muscle strength, improve cardiovascular health, neuromuscular retraining.
- Traditional Chinese Veterinary Herbal Medicine - Used for pain control, supports tissue healing.
- Therapeutic Laser and Laser Therapy - Stimulates tissue healing, decreases inflammation and reduces pain.
- Therapeutic Ultrasound - Used to speed healing, reduce scar tissue formation.
- Spinal manipulation - Used to normalize motion in joints and improve neurologic function.
- Acupuncture - Used for pain management, neuromuscular stimulation.
- Therapeutic Massage/Range of Motion Therapy - Improves circulation, reduces muscle spasm and tension, improves joint mobility, provides pain relief.
- Neuromuscular electrical stimulation - Used to treat muscle atrophy and pain management.
- Therapeutic Exercise - Strengthens muscles, tendons and ligaments.
- Customized at home therapeutic exercise plans - Rebuilds strength, muscle mass and neuromuscular retraining.
- Thermo and Cryo-therapies - Relieves pain and inflammation
Nutritional and nutraceutical support for neurologic and musculoskeletal issues